Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Something Fun to Come out of the FAQ’s – Space Wolf Allies


Everyone and their mother is talking about the FAQ’s and there are quite a few things that either clarify some waffly rules or change things pretty significantly but I wanted to focus on this one, single thing because it brought a little joy to my eyes and made my brain a start to working.

The one that got me excited is Space Wolves related and in their FAQ:

“Q: Does the The Leaders of the Pack rule still apply to Space Wolves taken as an Allied Detachment? (p81)
A: Yes”

So this mean that if you ally in Space Wolves you can pack in two HQ’s. Or, more appropriately, two Rune Priests.

Why is this a big deal? Well as some of you saw I’m a fan of two blobs. Mine aren’t purely combat/lasgun oriented and I’m a fan of the board control and resilience they give my armies. Well now I can get two Rune Priests in a Primary Guard army. That’s pretty crazy. And since they have some of the best and cheapest MEQ troops in the game you’re not even really paying a troop tax for it.

Here is an example:

Primary Detachment: Imperial Guard

HQ:

Primaris Psyker – 70
Primaris Psyker – 70

Elite:

Marbo – 65

Troops:

Platoon Command Squad – 30
3xInfantry Squad w/Autocannon & Power Axe – 210
Infantry Squad w/Autocannon – 60

Platoon Command Squad – 30
3xInfantry Squad w/Autocannon & Power Axe – 210
Infantry Squad w/Autocannon – 60
3xHeavy Weapon Teams w/Mortars – 180


Fast Attack:

Vendetta – 130
Vendetta – 130
Vendetta – 130

Heavy Support:

Griffon – 75

Allied Detachment: Space Wolves

HQ:

Rune Priest – 100
Rune Priest – 100

Troops:

10 Grey Hunters in a Drop Pod w/2 Flamers & Power Axe – 200

Total: 1,850

So what do we have here? We have two blobs with a Divination Psyker and a Biomancy Psyker. We have three of the cheapest and nastiest flyers currently in the game. A disruption unit in Marbo as well as one in the Grey Hunters. And plenty of barrage weapons for sniping ugly units./models.

Does it need work? Sure, but it’s a starting point. You’ve got 8 scoring units (assuming a full blob-up) and solid anti-flyer. Excellent anti-infantry and anti-tank running around with lots and lots of bodies and the ability to increase their durability.

Ideally I’d prefer to upgrade the Griffon to a Colossus but that would require dropping Marbo (something I’d consider) or finding the points elsewhere.

Just something random running through my head I felt I should share J