Friday, June 17, 2011

Ard Boyz 2011 Musings


So recently I’ve found myself pondering what I’m going to be running for Ard Boyz this year. There are 3 stores in super easy distance for me to attend it at so that shouldn’t be a problem however picking my army might be.

Just as a heads up I sent in my army list for the Bugeater GT taking place next weekend and it looks like this:

HQ
Belial-130

Elite
Upgraded Deathwing Squad-290
1xDual LC, 4xTH/SS, Standard, Apothecary

Troop
Deathwing Squad-235
5xTH/SS, Cyclone

Deathwing Squad-235
5xTH/SS, Cyclone

Deathwing Squad-235
5xTH/SS, Cyclone

Deathwing Squad-235
4xTH/SS, 1xDual LC, Cyclone

Deathwing Squad-245
2xChainfists, 1xPower Weapon, 2xPowerfists, Cyclone

Deathwing Squad-245
2xChainfists, 1xPower Weapon, 2xPowerfists, Cyclone

36 Terminators w/30 of them Scoring. 24 of them with Storm Shields. It’s also toting a nasty 14 Missile shots per turn to open transports for my hitty goodness. I’ve also included the two standard squads as this allows me to get some much needed shooting to wear down some horde units if I need to since those can successfully bog my army down.

As you can see I’m on a bit of a Terminator kick. Looking at a lot of the armies I see in RTT’s and GT’s I’m coming to the conclusion that most armies don’t really bring enough to drop an absurd number of Terminators. Great example of this will be my last batrep for the Railhead Rumble. That games also allowed me to see in action the difference the FAQ has made for Templars.

So lately I’ve been thinking of a large Terminator presence army. There are really only 3 armies this qualifies with; Deathwing, Space Wolves Logan Wing, and Black Templars. Now I’m bit over Space Wolves so that leaves me with Deathwing and Black Templars.

Both forces offer some advantages based on the last few years worth of Ard Boyz missions. They have limited high movement units and they are limited on KP’s. Difference is that most of the a Deathwing list scores while you’ll be reserving you scoring units in the Black Templars. Also, while Templars can’t add heavy weapons to their assault squads they do come with tank hunter and re-roll all fails to hit in CC which is pretty huge. So on to the two lists I’m considering right this second for Ard Boyz.

Deathwing:
Belial

Upgraded Squad found above
2xDeathwing Squads w/5 TH/SS & Cyclone

2xDeathwing Squads w/1 LC, 4 TH/SS, & Cyclone
4xDeathwing Squads w/2xChainfists, 2xPowerfists, 1xPower Weapon, Cyclone

2xTyphoons w/MM

46 Terminators w/11 Cyclones and 2 MM. Enough shots to put a hurt on units that you can’t quite catch. Tons of resilient and nasty troops. Fearless. 2 Units that can grab if they are still alive at the end of the game and if not no big loss. The plan would probably be to run them in 4 groups of 10 Termies evenly split between CC and Shooty Terms with Belial and company as a deepstriking wildcard.

OR

Black Templars:
Marshall w/LC, SS, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades, Artificer Armor
4 Tactical Termies w/1 Chainfist, 3 Powerfists, 2 Cyclones, Tank Hunter

Castellan w/LC, SS, Terminator Honors, Frag Grenades, Artificer Armor
4 Tactical Termies w/1 Chainfist, 3 Powerfists, 2 Cyclones, Tank Hunter

Emperors Champ w/Preferred Enemy Buff

2x8 Assault Terminators w/4xLC, 4xTH/SS
5 Tactical Termies w/1 Chainfist, 4 Powerfists, 2 Cyclones, Tank Hunter

4x5 Templars in Rhinos

2xTyphoons

In this list you’ll need to hide your troops. It’s got nearly the firepower of the Deathwing list but it’s more concentrated and most of it is St9. The Castellan and Marshall are beasts with the re-roll to hit and each “Tactical” termie squad would have a big hitter with it. You’d have to hide your troops more but I think it would do alright.

So the question is….Which do you guys find more appealing. I’ve got an idea of what I like most but I’m interested in opinions.