Sunday, June 19, 2011

Boots on the Ground! Progression of a 2k Foot Grey Knight List

So yesterday I got a bit of Vassal on against Dash's Henchmen List. I had originally asked him what he thought of an all foot GK list. He laughed and told me I'd get shot to pieces and then proceeded to shoot me down so that our game ended 8-1 on KP's. Granted his army is a hard counter to what I was running but at the same time I shouldn't have a hard counter against any of my lists so I needed to tweak it. The list I ran yesterday looked like this:

2xMalleus in TA w/Psycannon
1x10 Purifiers w/4 Psycannons, 6 Halberds
2x5 Purifiers w/2 Psycannons, 3 Halberds
5x10 Strikes w/2 Psycannons, Hammer, Psybolt Ammo

72 Models w/20 Psycannons and 80 St5 Bolter Shots a turn.

But I ran into this hard counter in Dash's list:

Coteaz
Librarian w/Shrouding (maybe other stuff)
Venerable Psyfle Dread
Vindicare
5x7 Psykers, 2 Jokero, Chimera
3xPsyfle Dread

You can see how this would be a problem. I suffer from not being able to deepstrike to close (Coteaz) while at the same time going yard isn't an option due to the range of my models. Add in that the only save's I'll get is from cover and you're looking at a bad situation. However I still love the concept so here is the next generation of a boots on the ground list:

Malleus in TA w/Psycannon
5x10 Strikes w/2 Psycannons, Hammer, Psybolt Ammo
2x5 Interceptors w/Hammer
3xNaked Dreadknight

So I basically gave up my Purifiers for the Dreadknight's and Interceptors. I lose some of my ranged shooting but exchange it for some more speed and resiliency. I'm thinking I'll still be tweaking this later on but it's my new starting point. One tweak I'm already considering looking at this is dropping one Strike Squad and downgrading the Inquisitor to bump both interceptor squads to 10 w/psybolt ammo and cannons.

I definitely in love with the idea of running 50-60 PA GK's with proper support. But I'm thinking it'll have quite a bit in common with my Nids. The difference being I'm not closing to combat range but I will need to close into range of my firepower. Same principle applies as with Nids in that you'll need early and consistant threats. So that is the direction I'm currently taking. Thoughts?