Tuesday, June 28, 2011

1st Company Goes to War! - Bugeater Game 1


So this weekend I headed down to the Bugeater GT in Omaha, Nebraska. It was a great event and here are two quick links: 



So I ran my newest painted army. My Deathwing which had:

Belial
Upgraded DW Squad w/Apoth, Banner, 4xTH&SS, 1 LC, Cyclone
3xDW Squad w/Cyclone, 5xTH&SS
1xDW Squad w/Cyclone, 4xTH&SS, 1 LC
2xDW Squad w/Cyclone, 2xChainfist, 2xPowerfist, 1xPower Sword

Round 1

Deployment: Dawn of War
Objectives: Table Quarters(P), Objectives(S), Kill Points(T)
The Objective Markers are set to middles of each quarter and one in the middle

Opponent: Dan Johnson

Mech IG

Command Squad: Lascannon, Power Weapon
Marbo
10 PBS in a Chimera
Veteran Squad: Harker, 3xGrenade Launchers
Veteran Squad: 3 Plasma, Chimera
Veteran Squad: 3 Melta, Demolitions
Veteran Squad: 3 Melta, Demolitions, Chimera
Vendetta
Leman Russ Squadron: 2 Leman Russ w/Lascannons
Demolisher w/Plasma Sponsons
Artillery Battery: 2 Basilisks

He actually won the roll to go first but opted to let me go first as he wanted me to be on the board when he rolled on. I think this was his first mistake but honestly Deathwing Assault threw people off all tournament so I can't really blame him. He also realized during deployment that he'd forgotten his Vendetta at home about 20 minutes away. So we improvise one for him :)

So no pictures till I realize I have my phone so I deployed 2x5 Hammer Squads up on the line, advise I'm going to walk everyone except for Belial's squad who'll DWA. He deploys his CCS in cover on the water tower you'll see later and his plasma vets 18"s from one of my units next to that tower in their Chimera. He outlfanks Harkers squad and the Vendetta w/the Demo Vets in it.

Turn 1:

I deepstrike Belial and friends into the middle of his deployment zone, about 12" from the edge of the board. They hit and I set them up. I move my other two units up and move all of my termies on from the back. I split them evenly with my "Tactical" termies moving up both flanks and my other hammer units in the center. I can't see his Chimera with my farther squad that has side shots, Belial's squad runs to spread out a bit, I shoot and do nothing to the Chimera with the closer squad, and all other Termie squads run.

His turn he rolls the Lemans into the upper left corner, Bassies and Demolisher in the right corner. His PBS and Melta Vets come in right in front of Belials squad. He rolls to see Belials squad with his Melta Vets in the Chimera first and can't see. Then he remembers his spotlights and goes to work on both the Hammer Squad in front of his Plasma Vets and Belial Squad. Belials squad loses 1 Terminator and the Hammer Squad loses 3. I don't take any more losses.

Turn 2:

I move Belial and his remaining boys up toward the center chimeras. I move my 2 remaining my terminators from the forward left squad toward the Plasma Chimera. I move all my other terminators forward and open fire. I knock out the melta vet squads chimera and don't do anything else from shooting. So then I assault the PBS Chimera and the plasma chimera. I knock out both. The plasma chimera explosion kills 5 of the squad when they fall out and his 3 remaining plasma guns and troops deploy.

His Vendetta comes in on the left side of the table. Marbo pops up behind one of my squads in my quarter. He shifts around a little and opens fire. His plasma vets kill off my 2 terminators but manage to overheat and fail on two of them cause the squad to break and flee off the table. He opens up on Belial's squad and I'm down another two termies there. I don't lose anyone else. Marbo's throw goes right off of everyone. 

Turn 3:
So it took me a few minutes to get the handle on photos but you can see the PBS that's on the ground. Just off to the right is Belials squad that splits up with Belial going after the PBS and the other two going after the Vet squad. I move all the troops up the field again while starting to stretch to cover more objectives and start to move to hold quarters. I also play hammer time with Marbo who goes squish.



I also manage to down the Vendetta and pin the squad that falls out of it. I also take the Demolisher Cannon off the tank. I kill off the vets and wind up locked in combat with the PBS squad.

On his turn Harker comes in on the right hand side. Between all the shots I lose one of the two remaining HQ terminators and lose oneof the three from that squad that's out in front on the upper right. I then wipe out his PBS and consolidate toward the CCS tower.

Turn 4:
So I move up my remainig termies on this side and swarm toward the Demolisher. I open fire with my "Tac" squads and kill off 6/10 of Harkers squad.  Belial tries to get into comabt with the command squad and fails. Here is what the end of my turn looks like.



On his turn Belial takes all the shots from his battle cannons and lascannons on the right and keeps on chuggin. He kills off another of the 2 man squad leaving me with 2 single terminators from 2 different squads over on his right.

Turn 5:

Belial charges and kills all of the CCS except for the officer who makes a break for it and consolidates toward the Battle Tanks. My other two squads of single termies charge the bassies. Photos of the end of my turn.

On his turn he does this:

And Belial died but the best part is that he saved the lascannon shots and both Battle Cannons roll a hit and he gets ID'd by rolling a 1. It was genius!

It was a fun game. Dan was a great guy. My opponent made a few mistakes. He should have taken turn one. He should have had the Vendetta come on like everything else. And he should have focussed his fire till things went away. As it was I walked away with the win and all 3 objective.

Running Total: 1-0 25/25