Monday, June 11, 2012

6th Edition, Army Building, and Travel 40k

I know I've been quite lately. It's equal parts busy life and the pre-new edition apathy that sometimes overcomes us.

Let's start by saying I'm super stoked for 6th edition. Now that we have a pretty solid release date (6/30 or 7/6) it's just a matter of waiting to see what 6th is going to be like. It does make it a bit pointless to talk about tactics and strategies though.

This does leave me a little light in the drive department for building and painting though. I don't want to commit to to many new models or conversions if whatever I decide to play with might become much less viable but at the same time I'm a bit of a hobby nut. So where does this leave me?


Well I'm currently converting up my Slaanesh all infantry army. I've managed to assemble 3 full veteran squads and have the template model done for my rough riders. I've got the final bits coming from ebay and then I'll probably be using http://www.frontlinegaming.org/ to paint up this army since they did a great job on their adepticon army and I loved the slaanesh themed portion of it.

Outside of that I've also gotten bitten by a hobby bug for a long-time considered project. I've always been tempted to do a travel version of 40k out of epic figures. Imagine my surprise when I came across a group of gamers who had done this and taken it a step further. They full on scaled the game down. You can find their website here: https://sites.google.com/site/pocketw40k/home

So why am I sharing. Well I've got a ton of epic mini's still on sprue and I've got quite a few vehicles and such for three different armies (IG, SM, and Orks). So I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and build a couple of armies for scaled down 40k. Basically just change inches to centimeters and make some suitable bases for what would be normal scale of 40mm, 60mm, and 120mmx60mm and you're ready to go.

The main reason I'm into this isn't because I expect a ton of people to be willing to play or anything. To be honest it's mostly for me. I'm doing this so I can use them to test armies before I invest in a large scale project. I can also use it as a way to curb the worst of my army ADD. If I can test some silly builds once in a while I might be able to keep myself from going overboard on projects. It'll also allow any of my gaming buddies a chance to do the same thing.

A secondary benefit is that for 6th edition I can find a sweet spot with some of my existing armies and determine what changes I might need to make. All I need is some magnet sheets and some good hole punches. Naturally I'll follow some of my progress on here.

That's pretty much what's going on and where I'm at. I'll try and be a bit more active but you guys can expect an explosion around 6th edition!