Saturday, November 5, 2011

2k Necrons, First Thoughts

Well the codex finally dropped. I’ve been playing with it off and on for the last few days and I’m really excited about this book. Here is where my playtesting is starting for 2k. Naturally this is my starting point for what I hope will be a solid 2k list but after reading the book I have a feeling I’m going to be making a fairly different 1,850. This codex has a ton of potential builds and looks like it’s going to be able to manage to build to the point level which is great.

Well enough waiting, here is the first 2k list:
 
HQ

Overlord-100
Warscythe

Overlord-100
Warscythe

5 Crypteks-195
5xHarbringer of Destruction, 1xSolar Pulse

5 Crypteks-195
5xHarbringer of Destruction, 1xSolar Pulse

Troop

10 Immortals-170
Tesla Carbine

10 Immortals-170
Tesla Carbine

5 Warriors-65

5 Warriors-65

5 Warriors-65

5 Warriors-65

Fast Attack

5 Wraiths-175

5 Wraiths-175

8 Scarab Swarms-120

Heavy Support

Annihilation Barge-90

Annihilation Barge-90

3 Canoptek Spyder-150

That’s 2k on the nose. It’s got a solid CC element and a good chunk of ranged firepower. It’s also got staying power in the form of 6 troop units. The Spyders naturally have my swarm up to 14 models by turn two. I’ve also squeezed in two turns of forcing enemies to nightfight to see me which will allow my ranged shots to start to go to work while my Wraiths and Scarabs get into position. Regarding the Crypteks it'll depend on my opponent but generally two from each squad will be attached to all the warrior units so they can support the army through means other than scoring. The remaining three from each squad will form a mobile "long fang"-esque unit. Against units with less Mech or more worrisome individual units I might keep the crypteks together. The ability to choose before each game is huge.

The 2-3 turns of free shooting will be used to give my anti-infantry units an opportunity to contribute which is solid. I’m honestly a little in love with the Annihilation Barges at their point value. The four twin-linked strength 7 that “explode” on 6’s and the extra shots that can arc into the infantry is just too good. There will probably be a bit of a rules issue with how arcing works until the FAQ but I’ll just let me opponent choose how to play it before we start.

And as a side note but I’ll be doing an article for the book as a whole and my take on it but I find that there are good choices in all slots which has me super excited! So what are you guys planning?