Friday, September 2, 2011

Raging Is Cool! (Sisters WD)


So recently I’ve been able to catch up on a bit of reading on Dakka since I’m back on 12 hour days at work. And the one thing I’ve noticed is that it seems to be cool to scream about things lately. This has happened especially since the Sisters of Battle WD codex that came out.

Personally I’ve found that I like the book far more than the last one. I can actually fit things that I want in and feel like I’m covering my bases. I know mine isn’t the popular opinion but I think GW’s current codex release style works well with my brain. They are currently normally completely revamping how armies play each time they release a new codex. With me have the attention span of a ferret on meth I find that I have far less trouble taking each book as a new stand alone. I no longer compare codexes to previous incarnations because it doesn’t do any good. I simply sit down with the newest book and start to put in things that sound good.

That being said here are some of the things I’ve noticed:

-Faith is fairly reliable. You’re talking a 50% chance that is readily upgraded to a 25% chance with an upgrade. Or upgraded to a 33% chance if you’ve taken a casualty or a character joins. Basically they are close to on par with Imperial Guard orders which isn’t to shabby. Don’t rely on them but they’ll be a nice benefit.

-Jacobus w/a coven is going to be just plain nasty. Those little bitches are already bad enough, adding attacks, preferred enemy on the charge, and FnP is just plain disgusting.

-I know quite a few people are going to disagree with me but I’m pretty sure I can fit more models and more tools into the new book that I could the old. There is more CC potential than before and an equal number of special/heavy weapons that can do damage.

-People are going to shit when you put down 90ish 3+ save models, all mounted, that have a slew of special/heavy weapons. That is not an easy amount of models to eliminate.

-Rending Heavy Bolters, when they work will be great. The unit will be a transport killer 33-50% of the time which is pretty solid. I’m seriously looking at Retributors again.

-I think in higher point games a Cannoness that opens up the option for a command squad with 3 MM’s might not be so bad. Relentless is neat and I wish it was a more widely used power.

Overall I think the book actually has the tools to be competitive. Is it the same book? Nope. Will the mix stay the same as previously? Nope. Will it have the speed, numbers, and weapons to win in 5th until the true codex comes out? Very much so. I’ll go into my thoughts on army building with the new “codex” in the next week. But first, what are your opinions? And why?