Thursday, August 4, 2011

Nova Invitational & Open: My Mind is Made Up!



So I generally don't do this but balance in 40k is apparently one of my touch points for my hobby. I was at work yesterday and came across this in my blog reading:

http://theback40k.blogspot.com/2011/08/is-it-time-to-worry-yet.html

Long story short it's a bit of a rant about the state of 40k and how imbalanced it is. It highlights Tyranids as one of the poorest codexes of 5th edition outside of the New Sisters WD book that isn't even out yet. It also claims there is a single workable army list which is beyond false. But since the whole article is pretty much predicated upon a single guys local meta and his personal experiences it's easy enough to dismiss. That said it helped me reach a conclusion.

Most of you guys (my readers) know that I brought my Nids to Adepticon. I won 2 games and tied 2 games and was the 5th alternate for day two. Both of those ties were due to the straight KP nature of Adepticon as my opponents won this objective by a single KP each time. Not to bad of a showing all told. But after that I hung up my Nids for a while due to playing them to an extreme and I think the above article might have pushed me back into proving that Nids are a competitive book with several builds. What does that mean for Nova?

I'm no longer only going to run my Nids if Nick (Yermom) does. I'm going to run them regardless and for both events!

I've decided to shelve for now my Invitational SW's list that I am fully converting to look unique and where every model is at least moderaly converted. The list I was going to take looked like this:

Logan
Rune Priest in Terminator Armor w/Chooser, Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane
Rune Priest in Terminator Armor w/Chooser, Living Lightning, Living Lightning
4x5 Wolf Guard Terminators w/4 WC's, 3 Combi-Plasma, Chainfist, Cyclone
2x5 Long Fangs w/4 Missile Launchers

Nasty and very, very solid. But that's now done. It's going on the back to my bugs and that Space Wolf Terminator list is going to have to wait.

Even though my bugs aren't as pretty they are what I'm bringing. I'll attempt to batrep every fight and we'll see how well I do against a solid crop of some of the better players in the US in the Invitational as well as against a field of 256 people. Just thought I'd share!