Friday, October 28, 2011

Tournament Off Season and Next Year

Well it’s that time of the year. The time of the year where GT’s start to dry up for the 2-3 months except for a rare few. It’s the time of the year that I normally find my interest in 40k waning slightly which is one of the reasons I’m so excited for the Necron codex to light a new fire under me for the hobby. I am looking forward to the new year as there are no 2-day events that I’ll be able to attend until February when the season starts back up for me at least. There are a few RTT’s between now and then but nothing truly large until February.

Here is a list of the Events that are on my calendar this year:

February 11-12: The Darkstar GT here in the Twin Cities: http://darkstargt.com/index.html
March: Bay Area Open in San Francisco, CA: No Webpage yet but it’s run by Reece and had a great review last year.
April 19-22: Adepticon in Chicago (Lombard), IL: http://www.adepticon.org/
June 1-3: Bugeater GT in Omaha, NE: http://gt.bugeatergames.com
July ?-?: WargamesCon in Austin, TX: ?? (This one is one of the more hopeful ones)
August ?-?: The Nova Open in Washington DC: ??

I might also try and qualify for the Feast of Blades as well in Colorado for next year if there is a qualifier within a reasonable drive of me. It’s a pretty busy schedule with almost 1 GT per month from February to August but I think it’s doable. Granted my RT’s will be cut way back as the wife won’t be happy with that much time spent out and about J The thing that’s interesting is the above Tournaments are likely to be the last 5th edition Tournaments so at least the next “Off Season” will be spent learning new rules and adjusting to a new dynamic.

Sidenote: Hobby Update

Last night was the first night I have modeled some units since the week before the Ard Boyz Semi’s. I did start building my scarab swarms and warriors so I can lock down a paint scheme and get them all knocked out before the new models come in for me to convert and paint. A few bits should be in soon so I can start the conversion process for my Wraiths while I wait for the rest of the parts to arrive. I made a solid trade to pull in 8 Tomb Spyders to supplement my forces as I have a feeling I’m going to want to run around 6 of them and maybe more sometimes. Those should be arriving next week as well for me to get started on after I strip them.

I admit to a grave GW sin….I purchased the White Dwarf for this month and did some reading. I’m apparently really excited about this release.

So what about you guys? Do you guys find yourself winding down a little in your hobby toward the end of the year? What events are you guys going to be attending next year? What are you working on right now?