Saturday, August 23, 2014

A Dash of Ork




Greetings one and all!

While I haven't picked up a model or played a game since 2012 in the prime of 5th Edition, I haven't forgotten about the hobby.  To the contrary, I put down models and the competitive aspect of Warhammer to immerse myself in the universe.  I own every Horus Heresy novel from the Black Library, quite a few Omnibuses...I've always enjoyed reading Codices, but this deep immersion into the 31st Millenium has been quite nice.


     What happens when an extremely competitive A+ type personality gets hurt, medically retired from the Army, and can't play Basketball or Rugby anymore?  In my case, they find a new outlet for the competitive urge in Warhammer 40k.  I started gaming feeling like I had something to prove, and three bloody years of cross-country trekking to demolish everyone I could find left a trail of friends and enemies in equal measure behind me.

     I stopped gaming at the pinnacle of my "career" - feeling like I'd proven....whatever it was I set out to prove.  Life churns on, we mature, and I'm reservedly poking my head back into the hobby.  I'm still competitive, but my personality is more of a B+ if there is such a thing.  

  Today I picked up the new Ork Codex, and hope to and learn how to play again.  We're two editions later, and I haven't the foggiest how to play!  I remember turns of moving and shooting, vaguely remember people telling me that 6th edition changed rules about vehicles to promote foot-slogging armies, and see that the new Ork Codex has Stompas in them. o.O

For someone who remembers 5th, skipped 6th, and wants to learn 7th, I'm looking for clues, tutorials and advice.  Here's to new friends, and getting reacquainted with old ones!