Friday, March 9, 2012

Off the Shelves and Outta the Warp - 1,850 Daemons


Well damn Brent anyway but he’s got me thinking about running Demons again. Now I’d probably paint up an entire new army as I’m slowly shifting my converted admech over to a pure guard army since I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea regarding WYSIWYG.

Anyway I was reading Brent’s blog and the bastard had a great idea, especially in an environment that is almost 50% GK at this point. Collars of Khorne! No hear me out. It’d be a list that looks like this:

HQ

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot – 100
Bolt, Shoot 2 Weapons Ability

Herald of Tzeentch on Chariot – 100
Bolt, Shoot 2 Weapons Ability

Herald of Khorne – 135
Juggernaut, Blessing of Khorne, Icon

Herald of Khorne – 135
Juggernaut, Blessing of Khorne, Icon

Elite

6 Fiends – 180

6 Fiends – 180

6 Fiends – 180

Troop

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

5 Horrors – 95
Bolt

Fast Attack

9 Flesh Hounds – 135

9 Flesh Hounds – 135

So this is an 1,850 list. The idea being that DP’s are in the coffin now that the DE codex is out. Call me crazy but I don’t like seeing a 160pt model go down to 2 65pt transports after maybe popping a tank. So that being said let’s take a look at how this army works.
It’s got the standard bolt chariots and bolt troops. Giving me 8 shooting units supported by 5 combat units (on the drop, more like 7 later). You attach the HoK’s to the flesh hound units and divide them between waves. This gives you an icon on the table and offers a bit of protection to your herald and the dogs. You then land 4 shooting units and 1-2 additional CC units (depending on the wave).

No daemons in some ways now suffer almost as badly against DE as Nids do. Basically it’s hard to make a list that can stand up to the DE and take on other books. That damn DE book is just one big non-sm spoiler book J Anywho….

I never really had an issue with IG or most Marine builds with my Daemons.  With the advent of the DE and those bastard Strikes in GK lists though I had put mine on the shelf for other projects. But now looking at the Meta at the two events I’ve attended this year and reading about other events I’m starting to think it might be time to break them out. Yes they still suffer from DE but with the sheer number of GK’s out there, almost none of which take strikes or interceptors, and with the Necron codex and general shift away from MSU Razor spam type builds I’m thinking it’s time for the denizens of the warp to come out and play.

The list above is still solid against almost any army with its decent shooting and solid CC. It does fear the normal threat of Land Raider based armies or DE but outside of that it’s solid. Now though is the kicker. The HoK and Fleshhounds are ridiculous against any non-henchmen GK list. Why? 2++ against force weapons. This means that two ok units become beasts and that the HoK’s become wrecking balls on the field which will require that firepower be directed away from troops and fiends and onto them. Basically overloading most GK lists ability to handle enemy units outside of combat.

So what do you guys think? Are Daemons something that can come off the shelf with the rise in Necrons and GK’s? Do you think it’s an interesting idea? Share your thoughts J

Oh, and as a sidenote I'd like to say I love the conversion in the photo at the beginning. I had to repost it from Brent's blog and it's something I'm considering if I rebuild my Daemons!